Looking for London’s October chills and scary things to do for Halloween? You’re in the right place! In this guide, we’ll unearth the eerie and thrilling experiences that London has to offer in October, ensuring your Halloween season is packed with spooky adventures and scary events. From the chilling chills of London’s haunted past to the exhilarating Halloween events throughout the city, we’ll dive deep into the scary October chills that make London the perfect destination for Halloween enthusiasts.
Discover the darker side of London this Halloween season, both on and around October 31st. Immerse yourself in spine-tingling experiences, explore haunted locales, embark on eerie tours, and savour both tricks and treats at captivating family events.
Get ready for a hair-raising journey as we explore the best activities, attractions, and events that London has in store this October. Whether you’re seeking ghostly encounters, heart-pounding scares, or a dose of Halloween magic in London, this collection of scary events, chilling activities and things to do is set to deliver a spine-tingling and unforgettable experience for you this October.
I have organised these activities in London into categories based on their themes and characteristics, making it easier to plan and choose the experiences that interest you the most. I have included the most popular and must-do activities for Halloween in London also for timeless memories.
Timeless Travel Steps is supported by our readers. If you purchase through an affiliate link on my site, at no cost to you, I may earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Please read our Disclosure.
3-Must-Do Activities for Halloween in London
Dark Arts (15th September – 5th November 2023) returns adorning the Great Hall with 100 levitating pumpkins and a supernatural Hallowe’en feast. Brave souls can follow the Dark Mark trail, duel Death Eaters, and explore the Studio Tour, ending with a shadowy visit to Platform 9 ¾ and an eerie Diagon Alley.
✔️ Round-trip transport from London + Entry;
✔️ Iconic sets from HP movies.
See London’s most haunted and grizzly sites + tales of the city’s darkest past with a professional guide.
✔️ Classic 1960s Routemaster with a Gothic twist;
✔️ See top London sites by night.
Experience horrifying scenes that bring to life the atrocities of London’s infamous murderers, the devastating Great Plague, and the catastrophic Great Fire of 1666. For the brave-hearted, take on the role of a gallows victim on ‘Drop Dead: Drop Ride!’ 🏛️🔥😱
✔️ Guaranteed admission;
✔️ Chilling, sensory experience.
37 Quintessential Halloween Things to Do in London for October chills
During the spooky month of October 2023 in London, the city transforms into a hauntingly eerie wonderland. London’s October Halloween events are set to offer a spine-tingling chills experience like no other. From thrilling ghostly bus tours and haunted house experiences that reveal the city’s most haunted secrets along with immersive Halloween experiences in the historic Hampton Court Palace, to the enchanting Harry Potter-themed attractions, there’s no shortage of spooky fun to be had in the city.
Explore themed cocktails at haunted bars, embark on walking tours of haunted London, or even enjoy the time-honoured tradition of pumpkin picking at Covent Garden. Don your fancy dress and join the festivities at London Dungeon’s Halloween special event, or explore the spine-tingling history of 19th-century surgery at the Old Operating Theatre Museum. Whether you’re seeking a family-friendly adventure like the London Bridge ghost tour or a night of Halloween fun at one of London’s Halloween chills and thrills parties this October, the city has something for everyone to celebrate Halloween in style. Book your tickets for these hauntingly popular events in advance, as London’s Halloween experience promises to be an unforgettable blend of eerie chills and enchanting October.
Don’t forget to book your tickets in advance for popular events like the Harry Potter Warner Bros Studios Tour, Ghost Bus Tour and the London Dungeon for a night filled with frights and memorable moments if you want to experience these events.
Haunted attractions in London during scary October
1. Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter (Halloween transformation): Step into the enchanting world of wizardry as the famous Harry Potter studio tour undergoes a spellbinding Halloween makeover, offering fans a chance to experience the magic with a spooky twist.
2. The London Dungeon (Halloween season horrors): The London Dungeon takes its already chilling experiences to the next level during the Halloween season, delivering a bone-chilling journey through the darkest and most horrifying chapters of London’s history.
3. The London Bridge Experience (thrilling exploration): Unearth the sinister secrets of London’s past at the thrilling London Bridge Experience, where chilling characters await in eerie settings beneath the world’s most renowned haunted bridge.
4. Tower of London (Bloody Tower and legendary inmates): Within the Tower of London’s historic walls, delve into the haunting history of the Bloody Tower, where legendary inmates from centuries past seem to leave their spectral remnants, adding an extra layer of intrigue to this iconic site.
5. Clink Prison Museum (historic and infamous prison): Step back in time to explore the historic and infamous Clink Prison Museum, where you can bear witness to the gruesome torture devices and the dark past of one of London’s most notorious prisons. Alternatively, opt for this tour about London’s scariest day out: Visit Clink Prison + Jack the Ripper Museum + Walking tour.
6. Old Operating Theatre Museum and Herb Garret (19th-century surgery): Travel back in time to the 19th century as you uncover the unnerving world of surgical procedures at the Old Operating Theatre Museum and Herb Garret, where historic surgical instruments and procedures come to life in an educational and spine-tingling experience.
Ghost tours and tours in London
This Halloween in London, step on a scary journey of things to do through London’s shadowy past with a selection of ghost tours and tours that explore the city’s haunted history. From delving into the chilling mysteries of Jack the Ripper to uncovering the secrets of Royal Maritime Greenwich, these tours offer a spine-tingling blend of storytelling, history, and paranormal exploration.
7. Jack the Ripper Ghost Walks: These guided tours take you through the darkened streets of Whitechapel, where the infamous Jack the Ripper committed his gruesome crimes. Led by knowledgeable guides, you’ll step back in time to Victorian London and delve into the unsolved mysteries surrounding this notorious serial killer.
8. Jack the Ripper Walking Tour and ‘Ripper Vision’: Discover the legend of London’s notorious Jack the Ripper with a knowledgeable guide who takes you through the darkened streets of Whitechapel, where the infamous Jack the Ripper committed his gruesome crimes. Innovative hand-held projectors help to recreate the atmosphere of Victorian London using spooky images, film clips and moving images. You’ll step back in time to Victorian London and delve into the unsolved mysteries surrounding this notorious serial killer.
9. Jack the Ripper Walking Tour and Museum: Located in the heart of Whitechapel, this museum is dedicated to the history and mystery of Jack the Ripper. It features exhibits, artifacts, and interactive displays that provide insights into the gruesome murders and the possible identities of the killer.
10. London Month of the Dead (talks, tours, workshops): This month-long event offers a diverse range of activities, including talks, tours, and workshops, all centered around themes of death, the afterlife, and London’s cemeteries. It provides a unique opportunity to explore the city’s relationship with mortality and the macabre.
11. London Bridge Ghost Walking Tour: Venture into the heart of London’s history with this walking tour that uncovers tales of ghosts, ghouls, and dark legends lurking beneath London Bridge. You’ll visit graveyards, secret alehouses, and other haunting locations while learning about the city’s eerie past.
12. Ghost Walking Tour of Royal Maritime Greenwich: Explore the storied history of Royal Maritime Greenwich and its chilling legends, including the curse of the Cutty Sark and the ghostly presence of sailors “Shanghaied” in centuries past. This tour combines maritime history with spine-tingling tales of the supernatural.
13. Haunted Pub Tour for Two: Embark on a haunted pub tour, visiting some of London’s most haunted public houses. These tours offer a blend of history, folklore, and ghost stories, providing a unique perspective on the city’s spirited nightlife.
14: Other Captivating Tours: London offers a wide variety of captivating tours, including historical, architectural, and thematic explorations. From Sherlock Holmes-themed tours to guided visits of famous landmarks and hidden gems, there are tours to suit every interest and curiosity, often revealing the intriguing and mysterious side of the city.
Interactive experiences and games for October chills during Halloween in London
Immerse yourself in London’s world of interactive experiences and games, where adventure and mystery await. From stepping into the shoes of Sherlock Holmes to battling zombies in virtual reality, these interactive activities are some of the scariest things to do in London for Halloween as these promise engaging and thrilling escapades.
15: Sherlock: The Official Live Game: Channel your inner detective in this immersive experience where you become part of Sherlock Holmes’ world. Solve puzzles, unravel mysteries, and follow the clues to crack the case, all while stepping into the iconic detective’s shoes. Sherlock Holmes Old London Walking tour.
16. Arcane Afternoon Tea at Wands and Wizard Exploratorium: Delight in a magical and whimsical afternoon tea experience set in the enchanting world of wizards and witches. Solve puzzles and reveal hidden delights as you enjoy sweet and savoury treats inspired by the wizarding universe.
17. Zombie Battle Training Experience: Prepare for a heart-pounding adventure as you take on the undead in this thrilling zombie battle training mission. You’ll be part of a special military mission, where teamwork and survival skills are essential to fend off the impending zombie apocalypse.
18. Alice in Wonderland VR Escape Room: Step through the looking glass and into Wonderland in this virtual reality escape room adventure. Collaborate with beloved characters from Lewis Carroll’s classic tale to outsmart the Queen of Hearts and escape Wonderland before time runs out.
19. Deadwood Valley Zombie-Themed Experience at Sandbox VR: Dive into the immersive world of Deadwood Valley, a zombie-infested frontier town, in this virtual reality experience. Team up with friends to battle hordes of the undead, combining strategy and survival skills in a gripping adventure.
October chills theatre and shows for Halloween in London
Experience the magic of London’s theater scene with a captivating array of shows that promise to transport you to otherworldly realms and immerse you in tales of mystery and enchantment. From the bewitching story of Wicked to the haunting melodies of Phantom of the Opera and the spine-tingling suspense of The Woman in Black, these productions offer a rich tapestry of emotions and storytelling that captivate audiences night after night.
20. Wicked London: This beloved musical prequel to “The Wizard of Oz” takes you into the magical world of Oz, revealing the untold story of the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good. With mesmerizing performances and spellbinding songs, it explores themes of friendship, identity, and the consequences of choices made in a fantastical setting.
21. Phantom of the Opera: Andrew Lloyd Webber’s timeless masterpiece, set in the opulent Paris Opera House, tells the tale of a mysterious masked man who becomes infatuated with a young soprano. Filled with unforgettable music and Gothic romance, it’s a story of love and obsession that has captured the hearts of audiences worldwide for decades.
22. The Woman in Black: This chilling stage adaptation of Susan Hill’s ghostly novel is a spine-tingling theatrical experience. Follow the gripping narrative as a lawyer is haunted by a malevolent specter in a remote English village, with the play’s clever use of suspense and atmosphere making it a theatrical classic known for its scares.
Halloween nightlife and parties in London: Scary events for October chills
When the moon rises over London in October, the city’s nightlife takes on an eerie and electrifying twist with Halloween nights in its most happening clubs and a vibrant array of Halloween parties and scary events. From costume contests and themed cocktails to pulsating beats and dance floors, London’s nightlife scene during this season offers a spirited and thrilling way to celebrate the spookiest night of the year.
23. Halloween Nights in London’s Top Clubs: London’s renowned clubs, such as Ministry of Sound, Fabric, and Egg London, come alive with Halloween-themed parties featuring world-class DJs, elaborate decorations, and costumed revelers dancing the night away in a high-energy atmosphere, making it the ultimate destination for those seeking a clubbing experience like no other.
24. Halloween Parties and Events in the City: Throughout London, you’ll find a diverse range of Halloween parties and events, from rooftop soirees to masquerade balls and scary haunted mansion gatherings events. These events often include live entertainment, themed cocktails, and creative costume competitions, offering a multitude of options for those looking to celebrate Halloween in style.
Scary events in London for Halloween: Haunted houses and places
Prepare to explore London’s haunted houses and eerie locales, where tales of ghostly encounters and supernatural mysteries come to life. From snapping selfies with resident ghosts at Queen’s House in Greenwich to braving encounters with the legendary White Lady at Sutton House and Breaker’s Yard, and enjoying family-friendly spookiness at Chiswick House & Gardens, these places offer a blend of history and paranormal intrigue.
25. Queen’s House in Greenwich (Selfies with Resident Ghosts): This elegant historic house in Greenwich is known for its ghostly residents, particularly the Tulip Stairs, where visitors have reported capturing unexplained spectral figures in their photographs, making it a unique and eerie spot for both history and ghost enthusiasts. Go here to read about the Queen’s House, Greenwich.
26. Sutton House and Breaker’s Yard (Encounter the White Lady Ghost): Sutton House, a Tudor mansion in Hackney, is famous for its White Lady ghost. Visitors have reported sightings of this ethereal figure, adding a spine-tingling layer of intrigue to the exploration of this well-preserved historical site.
27. Chiswick House & Gardens (Spooky Family Fun): Chiswick House & Gardens offers a family-friendly Halloween experience with illuminated haunted woods, delicious treats, and entertaining activities. It’s the perfect place for families to enjoy a fun and slightly spooky day out during the Halloween season.
28. Eerie Cemeteries in London: London is home to several historic cemeteries, including Highgate Cemetery and Brompton Cemetery, which are known for their atmospheric and haunting beauty. These cemeteries provide a peaceful yet eerie setting for reflection, with grand mausoleums and elaborate tombstones that capture the essence of Victorian-era mourning and remembrance.
Historic and Haunted Pubs in London
Include London’s historic and haunted pubs in your itinerary of scary events in London for Halloween. These are places where the tales of the past intertwine with eerie legends and ghostly encounters. From the notorious Ten Bells, linked to Jack the Ripper, to the Grenadier with its spectral inhabitants, and the centuries-old Spaniards Inn and Viaduct Tavern. These establishments offer a unique blend of history, folklore, scary tales and the possibility of a ghostly sighting.
29. The Ten Bells: Located in the Whitechapel area, this pub is infamous for its connection to Jack the Ripper, as it was frequented by some of his victims. Visitors often come for a drink and to explore the pub’s haunted history, with reports of ghostly apparitions and strange occurrences.
30. The Grenadier: Tucked away in Belgravia, The Grenadier is said to be haunted by the ghost of a young soldier who was punished for gambling debts. The pub’s walls are adorned with banknotes, mementos, and letters from patrons who believe that making offerings to the ghost will bring them luck.
31. The Spaniards Inn: Dating back to the 16th century, The Spaniards Inn in Hampstead has a rich history and is rumored to be frequented by the ghost of the highwayman Dick Turpin. It’s a cozy and historic pub where guests can enjoy a pint while contemplating its mysterious past.
32. The Viaduct Tavern: Located near the Old Bailey, The Viaduct Tavern is housed in a Victorian building with a dark history. It’s known for its haunted cellars and eerie tales of former inmates, making it a must-visit for those intrigued by both London’s history and its spectral mysteries.
Halloween and autumnal activities in London
Delve into the vibrant world of Halloween events and activities in London, where creativity and spooky fun take center stage. From carving pumpkins to donning elaborate costumes, attending film screenings, indulging in themed afternoon teas, exploring Halloween markets, and discovering a wide array of autumnal events, these activities offer a tapestry of Halloween-inspired experiences for all to enjoy.
33. Pumpkin Carving: Get into the Halloween spirit by selecting the perfect pumpkin at local farms or markets, then unleash your artistic flair to carve intricate or whimsical designs, a beloved tradition that brings out the artist in everyone. TIP: Covent Garden Pumpkin Market, London.
34. Costume Parties and Dressing Up: London comes alive with costume parties and events where participants don imaginative attire, from classic monsters to pop culture icons, making it a citywide celebration of creativity and self-expression.
35. Halloween Film Screenings: Cinemas and special venues host screenings of classic and contemporary horror films, providing the ideal setting for movie buffs to immerse themselves in the spooky atmosphere of the season.
36. Halloween-Themed Afternoon Teas: Indulge in a delicious and spooky twist on the traditional afternoon tea, where themed treats and decorations transport you to a magical world of witches, wizards, and ghouls.
37. Halloween Markets and Shopping: Explore Halloween-themed markets and shops offering a wide range of decorations, costumes, accessories, and treats, making it easy to find everything you need to create the perfect Halloween ambiance.
Exploring more events and activities throughout Autumn
Beyond Halloween, London offers a wealth of events and activities throughout the autumn season, including harvest festivals, art exhibitions, and cultural experiences that showcase the city’s rich diversity and vibrant atmosphere.
With Christmas soon after Halloween, you may find the following articles about Timeless Christmas in London and about London generally, resourceful:
From ghostly tours and haunted houses to immersive games and thrilling shows, London presents a treasure trove of scary things to do at Halloween. Let the city’s chilling and captivating offerings that promise unforgettable memories transport you to a world where the supernatural meets the spectacular!
Have a super awesome October chills Halloween in London!
Happy and Safe Travels Always, Wherever Travel Takes You, xx